Last Tuesday when we were about to released from the hospital, they checked Logan's bilirubin level, and it was a 12, which was considered "intermediate risk." I had no idea what that meant exactly but the doctor made it sound like it was no big deal, and told me to follow up with my regular pediatrician the next day.
Well the next day I was pretty much asleep all day in between him suckling my ginormous boobs and didn't call the doctor until about 1:30. They were on their lunch break so I left a message for the nurse letting her know his level and to let me know if I needed to follow up and when I should make his first appointment.
The nurse called me back at about 4 and our conversation went something like this:
Nurse: "So what was Logan's bili level today?"
Me: "I don't know, I didn't have him tested today."
Nurse: "The hospital pediatrician didn't have you come back today for a repeat test?"
Me: "No. Should she have?"
Nurse: "Did they send you home with any lights to put him under?"
Me (panic ensuing): "No. Should they have?"
Nurse: "You need to get him over to the hospital lab immediately for another test. He was at an intermediate risk yesterday and standard protocol is to have the test repeated 24 hours later."
Ok, so then I start asking Dr. Google about bilirubin levels as we're headed to the hospital. (Big mistake.) Problems are present if your baby isn't peeing or pooping a certain amount a day. So I think back and realize that he's only had 1 pee and 1 poo in the last 24 hours, which is not normal. We got him to the hospital and had his blood drawn and then headed back home.
We walked in the door and the on call doctor at my pediatrician's office called and this conversation went a little like this:
Dr.: "Logan's bili level is at 18, which is dangerously high. I need you to get him back to the hospital right away. He's going to need to spend the night in the hospital."
Me: Instant sobbing and freaking out and gathering of necessities.
Dr.: "I'm going to call the hospital and let them know you are on your way. Skip admissions and go straight to the children's unit. They will be expecting you and are going to get Logan under the lights right away."
Me: More sobbing and incoherent questions.
We took him to the hospital immediately and they got him under the lights right away. Then they hooked him to a bunch of monitors and got Hubs and me set up to spend the night in his room with him. I was able to nurse him still, but had to keep him on this light pad while I was holding him. It was at these times that I noticed he wasn't really waking up. He'd wake up to eat but not really wake up, just open his mouth and start sucking.
At about 3 in the morning (of course I didn't sleep) he had a huge messy diaper and from there, things seemed to get better. They rechecked his bili levels at 6 am and again at 11 am and they had gone down quite a bit. Later, the hospital pediatrician told me that at about a level 25, babies can get brain damage from high levels of bilirubin.
I'm so glad I called.
Wow that is scary!! I am so glad that Logan's levels are doing better!!
ReplyDeleteI would love to chat with you about your delivery experience!!
I know you have your hands full, but if you could drop me a line when you get a second
rockyroadtomotherhood at Gmail dot com.
So scary, glad he's okay!!
ReplyDeleteWow, thank goodness you took the liberty to make the phone call! So glad your sweetheart is ok. Hope you're doing well too!!
ReplyDeleteHoly Crap! That was a scary story. But I love how cute he looks with those glasses on.
ReplyDeletePoor little man! Glad he's okay now, and that all is back on track.
ReplyDeleteSo scary! Poor little guy. So glad you called and got him in.
ReplyDeleteYikes. I'm glad you called too! I was just reading the baby book my Mom sent me, and apparently I was in the hospital for 6 freakin days post-birth b/c of jaundice. No fun.
ReplyDelete