Thursday, May 13, 2010

Private Parts

When I was growing up, I was horribly embarrassed to be seen in the nude. As I got older, it got worse. At sleepovers or in gym, I would go to the bathroom to change so nobody saw my B cups. I'm not sure how or why I got this little nudity complex because the rest of my family doesn't seem to have it. My sister will, in fact, poop in front of me. (That's weird right? I'd never just sit down on the toilet in front of someone and poop.)
I find it hilarious and liberating how open most children are (not like I was) when it comes to their bodies. They are naturally curious and not at all ashamed. They know that their "private parts" aren't supposed to be shared with the world, but they run out of the tub bare-assed and shake their butts anyway.

My point is that when it comes to talking about my life, I am bare-assed and doing the Macarena. I really have THE biggest mouth on the face of the earth. During the last miscarriage, I went out of town with some girlfriends, and when I picked up my friend, I was visiting with her and her husband and found myself telling them that I didn't bring my swimsuit because I was having a miscarriage and couldn't use tampons. Crickets started chirping and a tumbleweed blew by. My friend's husband couldn't leave the room fast enough.



My husband, on the other hand, is like Area 51. He is the vault. He doesn't tell anyone anything at anytime. Including me. I told my best friend about the infertility testing and he just happened to overhear me telling her how much the semen analysis cost. After I got off the phone he politely asked me not to discuss his semen with anyone. His whole family is like that. I can't imagine they ever poop in front of each other. And no, he has no idea that I have a blog all about his semen and our sex life. (And also why this blog is anonymous.)

So what is it about me that makes me want to talk, talk, talk about my life? I have given it a lot of thought over the past few months and decided that it is because I view my life as one gigantic learning experience. I am never embarrassed or ashamed to talk about my life because I am learning as I go. I like to discuss the dirty details with my friends because it is just the human experience that makes me, well, feel.

2 comments:

  1. I am EXACTLY the same way. And my husband is also VERY private. Doesn't mix well. I find that if I don't talk about what's going on in my life it never seems real. And if I don't let other people know what's going on in my life, then I'm keeping a secret and I hate secrets.

    So I feel your pain, I also toe the line of over sharing and then jump WAY over it.

    But on the other hand, I'm a naked person so we differ there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am exactly the same way! It still freaks my husband out how much I share with bloggy land. I try to moderate myself for him sometimes, but it doesn't really work.

    ReplyDelete

You complete me.